Nomex is a meta-aramid fiber developed in 1961 by DuPont and first marketed in 1967. Known for its inherent flame resistance, Nomex has been the fabric of choice for protective apparel in firefighting, oil, gas, petrochemical, industrial, military, police/swat, U.S. Forest Service and auto racing industries for over forty years. Nomex has outstanding strength and abrasion resistance so hoods manufactured from the fiber have exceptional wear life making them cost effective in the long run. Other properties of Nomex include:
- Material composition of hood is 100% Nomex® /(Meta-Aramid) approx. 7 oz sq yd. and knit in a 1 x 1 rib construction for better stretch and comfort.
- Not compliant with NFPA 1971- Current Edition.
STITCH TYPES AND SEAMS:
- All stitching conforms to Federal Standard 751 Specifications (FED-STD-751).
- Top is assembled with flat seam, stitch type 607.
- Elastic in face opening is serged with stitch type 504 and reinforced with bottom cover-stitch, stitch type 406.
- Drape attachment to top is done with stitch type 401 and reinforced with stitch type 605.
- Binding is applied with bottom cover-stitch, stitch type 406.
- All sewing done with 100% Nomex thread size TEX 40.
- Composed of two layers of a knit at top and a single layer at bib
- Hood is seamed from top of face opening to bib with top and bottom cover stitch.
- Bib is joined around circumference of hood and sewn on both sides and cover stitched top and bottom.
- Face opening shall be an oval shape measuring 6" in width and 3¼" in height. Extra-Heavy ½" wide elastic is serged to the perimeter of the face opening. The face opening with elastic is then folded back ½" and cover stitched. The heavier elastic around the face opening stretches a full 17" for easy donning. It also is guaranteed to fit snugly around all styles of SCBA masks and will retain its shape better after repeated use and laundering.
- The bottom edge of bib is completely bound with self-fabric bias cut binding (cut in five degree cut pattern).
FINISHED HOOD MEASUREMENTS:
- Length of hood top 12 ± ½" (A).
- Length of bib along shoulder seams 2" (B), center front 6" (C) center back 4" ± ½" (D).
- Width of hood top at top of face opening 7½" ± 1" (E).
- Width of hood top at center of face opening 5-1/4" ± ½" (F).
- Width of hood top at bottom of face opening 8½" ± 1" (G).
- Width of widest point of yoke 10" ± 1" (H).
- Height of face opening above bib seam 4" ± ½" (I).
- One size hood shall fit all.
LABELING AND USER INFORMATION:
- Each hood is clearly labeled to identify material contents, Date of Manufacture, Warning Statement and Care